DESIGN ENGINEERING IS MORE THAN AN ENGINEERING DEGREE
The Design Engineering program’s focus provides hands-on experiences from the start of your education, including working on real-world challenges in interdisciplinary teams and mastering all phases of problem definition, concept generation and solution implementation.
Earning a DE at Mines means you will develop deep expertise in integrative design, which enables you to bridge traditional problem- solving approaches to engineering, creative design and social sciences.
- The strength of a Mines technical degree with coursework in the fundamentals of mathematics, science and engineering
- Education in integrative design, bridging technical, creative and contextual problem solving;
- A diverse set of hands-on project experiences, culminating in a two- semester, client-sponsored Capstone design project;
- A range of focus areas that allow you to apply your design skills to a specific area of practice.
DE FOCUS AREAS
Explore the variety of focus areas through theme and designated curricular flowcharts below:
- Projects and coursework supports student passions
- Integrative design as the primary instructional approach
- Career preparation beyond traditional engineering
- Program flexibility allows students to chart their own paths
- Technical engineering
- Creative design problem solving
- Social contexts and sustainability
- Systems scale innovation
- Professional skills: leadership, entrepreneurship, concept visualization and interdisciplinary collaboration
INTEGRATIVE DESIGN STUDIOS
The core of the DE curriculum is Mines’ signature integrative design studios—a sequence of project- based design studios that integrate technical, creative and contextual aspects of the design challenge. These studios provide design methodologies that apply broadly to technical problem solving and span all of the program’s focus areas. A human-centered design perspective incorporates social, political, environmental and economic dimensions of the design context, leading to more meaningful solutions.
LIFE AFTER MINES
DE graduates can chart their own futures. They will be technically skilled, experienced with innovating problem solving in real-world contexts, able to collaborate across diverse disciplines and ready to lead and innovate in any organizational setting.
In addition to traditional engineering or design careers in technology and product-based industries, DE graduates are ideal candidates for roles in NGOs, start- ups and government agencies, and they are uniquely suited to contribute technical design expertise to the fields of healthcare, policy, law and finance.